When Tom’s application for a hive came through, we were instantly impressed with his enthusiasm for bees, and also the amazing location that Tom, his wife and new baby have chosen to create a wee paradise. On acres of bush in Oratia they’re building a strawbale house (there’s an interesting article about their project on Green Ideas), permaculture gardens, a food forest, composting toilets and apparently have a nice little tribe of chickens roaming around! Their goal is to live as off-grid and in touch with nature as possible, so having a bee hive seemed like a natural next step for this adventurous Kiwi family.
6 months after their hive delivery, we checked in with Tom to hear how they’re getting on …
Thanks to the bees, easy, sweet honey flavoured cupcakes, perfect for afternoon tea. Decorated with edible flowers that the bees enjoy too!
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl; flour, baking powder, salt
- In a separate bowl mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, milk and yoghurt
- Combine wet and dry mixture using wooden spoon
- Evenly divide mixture into cupcake moulds (will make approx. 12)
- Bake for 10-15mins, or until browned and toothpick comes out clean
- Leave to cool (Otherwise the icing will melt!)
- Combine icing ingredients in a bowl, adjusting icing sugar and honey for desired sweetness. (If your RCY is too runny, check out our tips for making it thicker)
- Carefully spread a generous layer of icing on each cake and decorate with honey drizzle and flowers. Share with friends and talk about the amazingness of bees!
Share your creations!
Post your photos to our Facebook Page or use the hashtag #raglancoconutyoghurt on Instagram